Share a file or folder
You can share a file or folder in Google Drive or in the Docs, Sheets, and Slides home screens.
- Open Drive, or a file or folder you want to share.
- Open the sharing box:
- While you have a file open: Click Share in the top-right corner.
- While you have a folder open: Click the share icon in the top-right .
- From your file list in Drive: Select the name of a file or folder and click the share icon at the top .
- Under “People” in the sharing box, type the email addresses of the people or Google Groups you want to share with. You can also search for contacts by typing them into the box.
- Choose the type of access you want to give these users by clicking the dropdown arrow to the right of the text box:
- Can edit: Users can edit the file or folder and share it with others
- Can comment: Users can view and add comments to the file, but can’t edit it. Folders can't be given comment access.
- Can view: Users can see the file or folder but can’t edit or comment on it
- Click Done. The users will receive an email letting them know you’ve shared the file or folder with them.
Have a look on the below video, you’ll learn how to share your files with individual people and with groups, and how to choose what others can do with a file.