Turn your vacation reply on or off
The message you set up will also be sent when you receive messages from your computer.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Gmail app .
- In the top left, tap Menu .
- Scroll to the bottom, then tap Settings.
- Choose your account.
- Tap Vacation responder.
- At the top, turn the "Vacation responder" switch On .
- Fill in the date range, subject, and message.
- Tap Done.
To turn off your vacation reply, switch "Vacation responder" to Off .
When your vacation reply is sent
Your vacation reply starts at 12:00 AM on the start date and ends at 11:59 PM on the end date, unless you end it earlier.
In most cases, your vacation response is only sent to people the first time they message you.
Here are the times someone may see your vacation response more than once:
- If the same person contacts you again after four days and your vacation reply is still on, they'll see your vacation response again.
- Your vacation response starts over each time you edit it. If someone gets your initial vacation response, then emails you again after you've edited your response, they'll see your new response.
- If you use Gmail through your work, school, or other organization, you can choose whether your response is sent to everyone or only people in your organization.
Note: Messages sent to your spam folder and messages addressed to a mailing list you subscribe to won't get your vacation response.