Turn notifications on or off
You can get email notifications on Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari when you're signed in to Gmail and have it open in your browser.
Note: You won't see any notifications if you turned off all notifications for your browser.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings Settings.
- Scroll down to the "Desktop notifications" section.
- Select New mail notifications on, Important mail notifications on, or Mail notifications off.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Note: If you use inbox categories and turned on notifications for new mail, you'll only get notifications about messages in your Primary category. If you turned on notifications for important mail, you'll get notifications for everything marked as important.